August 17, 2026 05:45 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Photo courtesy : Wikimedia Commons

‘India’s EV sector ready to fly, doesn’t need new subsidies’: Piyush Goyal

| @indiablooms | Jan 04, 2025, at 12:33 am

New Delhi: Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal stated on Friday that there is no requirement for fresh subsidies or incentives for the electric vehicle (EV) ecosystem, media reports said.

“India’s electric mobility segment is ready and set to fly. There is no need for new incentives as the existing ones are sufficient to kick-start the ecosystem,” Goyal said during a press event after a meeting with stakeholders from the EV sector, reported Business Standard.

Highlighting the factors driving the transition from internal combustion vehicles to EVs, Goyal pointed to reduced battery costs, the availability of battery-swapping systems, and the economic benefits of owning an EV.

His remarks align with Union Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari’s statement last year, asserting that subsidies were no longer warranted due to falling production costs and increased consumer adoption of EVs and compressed natural gas vehicles.

Goyal further noted that stakeholders at the meeting were unanimous in their stance against the need for additional subsidies.

“Everyone in the room was unanimous that once the existing subsidy regime comes to an end, none of them require subsidies,” he was quoted as saying by Business Standard.

The discussions also included safety standards for EVs and expanding battery charging and swapping infrastructure.

In March last year, the government introduced an EV policy providing incentives for companies investing at least $500 million in manufacturing units in India.

The PM E-Drive subsidy scheme, launched under this policy, offers Rs 10,000 per electric two-wheeler until March 2025, with the subsidy reducing by half in the following financial year.

For electric three-wheelers, the scheme provides a Rs 50,000 subsidy, which will decrease to Rs 25,000 starting in April.

Additionally, many states have rolled out subsidies to attract EV buyers.

Under the FAME-II scheme, the government plans to establish 10,763 public charging stations nationwide.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.