August 17, 2026 10:06 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

Supreme Court strikes down TRAI's call-drop mandate

| | May 11, 2016, at 11:16 pm
New Delhi, May 11 (IBNS) The Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled in favour of telecom companies (telcos) and struck down the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India's (TRAI's) regulation which mandated that telcos have to compensate subscribers for 'call drops', according to media reports.

COAI, a body of Unified Telecom Service Providers of India and 21 telecom operators, including Vodafone, Bharti Airtel and Reliance, had approached the country's highest court when the Delhi High Court upheld TRAI's decision to penalise the telcos from January 2016.

The telcos informed the Supreme Court (SC) that the sector is facing a huge debt burden and paying a high price for spectrum. The 'call drop penalty is an added burden.

They also refuted TRAI's claim that they are not investing in infrastructure and said that in the past 15 months they have installed two lakh towers, media reported.

SC called the Trai order "arbitrary, unreasonable and non-transparent," according to reports.

In October last year, Trai had said that starting January 1 operators would be required to give one rupee for every call drop to the user, with a maximum of three per day.

In April, when the telcos had approached the apex court, Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi supported TRAI's decision  and said that four to five service providers are running a cartel of billion subscribers, media had reported.

Kapil Sibal, who was representing the telcos, called the Wednesday judgement a 'historic' one, media reported.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.