August 19, 2026 07:32 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Hamid Ansari
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons

'A litany of falsehood unleashed on me': Hamid Ansari hits back at BJP on row over Pak journalist

| @indiablooms | Jul 14, 2022, at 05:23 am

New Delhi/IBNS: Former Vice President Hamid Ansari has hit back at the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for accusing him of inviting a shady Pakistani journalist to India when he held the position.

Ansari in a statement said "a litany of falsehood has been unleashed on me" and denied meeting or even inviting Pakistani journalist Nusrat Mirza, who is suspected of having links with Pakistan's spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).

He rejected allegations made by the BJP citing comments of a former spy agency Research and Analysis Wing official that he compromised national interest as India's Ambassador to Iran.

"Yesterday and today a litany of falsehood has been unleashed on me personally in sections of the media and by the official spokesperson of the Bharatiya Janata Party: that as Vice President of India I had invited the Pakistani journalist, Nusrat Mirza. That I had met him in a conference in New Delhi on 'terrorism', and that while as Ambassador to Iran, I had betrayed national interest in a matter for which allegations have been made by a former official of a government agency," Ansari said in the statement.

"It is a known fact that invitation to foreign dignitaries by the Vice President of India are on the advice of the government generally through the Ministry of External Affairs. I had inaugurated the conference on terrorism on December 11, 2010...As is the normal practice the list of invitees would have been drawn by the organisers. I never invited him or met him," the former Vice President said.

"My work as Ambassador to Iran was at all times within the knowledge of the government of the day..." he said in the statement.

This comes as BJP spokesperson Gaurav Bhatia earlier in the day in a press conference asked Ansari and the Congress to respond to the claims of Mirza that he visited India five times during the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) rule and passed on sensitive information collected in India to Pakistan's ISI.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.