August 20, 2026 12:34 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Anna Hazare

Anna Hazare calls off hunger strike over farm laws, says govt decided to increase MSP

| @indiablooms | Jan 30, 2021, at 04:19 am

Pune/IBNS: Veteran social activist Anna Hazare on Friday cancelled his planned hunger strike against the Centre's three contentious farm laws in the presence of senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and former Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis.

Speaking to reporters, Hazare said: "I have been doing andolan (agitation) on various issues for a long time. It is not a crime to protest peacefully...I have been raising the farmers' issue for three years... they die by suicide because they don't get the right prices for their crops...the government has decided to increase the MSP (Minimum Support Price) by 50 percent - I have got the letter."

"Since the centre decided to work on these 15 issues (his demands for farmers), I have cancelled tomorrow's fast," he added.

Earlier this month, the 83-year-old Gandhian had written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, stating he would launch the "last hunger strike" of his life by January end.

Hazare, whose hunger strikes in the national capital in 2011 and 2012 motivated millions across the country against institutional corruption, earlier this month said he had been writing letters for permission to hold a fast over farmers' issues at Delhi's Ramlila Maidan but didn't receive a response.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.