August 20, 2026 02:25 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Anna Hazare

Anna Hazare threatens to go on hunger strike if farmers' demands are not met

| @indiablooms | Dec 15, 2020, at 08:27 pm

New Delhi/UNI: Amid the ongoing farmers' protest against the three farm laws in the country, renowned social activist Anna Hazare has threatened to go on a hunger strike if the farmers' demands are not met.

In a letter to Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar, Hazare wrote that he ended his fast on February 5, 2019, on the request of then Union agriculture minister Radha Mohan Singh.

He said that he was given written assurance which has not been fulfilled so far.

The social activist's demands include the implementation of the recommendations made by MS Swaminathan Commission, which includes granting autonomy to the Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices (CACP) and implementing the Minimum Support Price (MSP).

Hazare said after considering all these demands, a High Powered Committee was assured to be formed immediately to take the right decision. The committee will consist of Union Minister of State for Agriculture, Niti Aayog member Ramesh Chand, among others. This committee will submit its report before October 30, 2019.

Hazare said as per the report of this committee, the central government will take appropriate action on the above issues. Such written assurance was given on February 5, 2019 by then Union agriculture minister Radha Mohan Singh and Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis after coming to Ralegan Siddhi.

"Since nothing has been done yet, therefore, I am thinking of resuming the hunger strike which was called off in 2019," Hazare said in his letter to Tomar.

"Since this (promise) has not been fulfilled. I have started thinking about relaunching the hunger strike. I will inform you about the date and place of the agitation,” wrote Hazare.

The farmer's protest against Centre's three farm laws entered its 20th day today, and the demonstration has intensified with more and more farmers gathering at the Delhi borders, mainly, Singhu, Tikri and Gazipur.

They also demonstrated at various toll plazas across the northern states, mostly in Punjab.

Besides being seen in front of several private centres and district offices, the farmer groups in Punjab were also seen standing in the corner of the highway stretched across GT Road and several other points with their union flags and banners for masses to see. 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.