August 20, 2026 02:49 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Arvind Kejriwal
Image: UNI

Arvind Kejriwal extends free ration scheme to another 6 months

| @indiablooms | Nov 06, 2021, at 10:12 pm

New Delhi/UNI: A day after the Centre said that there was no proposal to extend free foodgrains supply under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PM-GKAY), the Delhi government announced to extend its free ration distribution scheme on Saturday.

Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said that Delhi Government has extended its free ration scheme for another six months even as the Centre has not proposed to further its food security programme under (PM-GKAY) beyond November 30.

He also appealed to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to extend the Centre's scheme for another six months citing inflation and unemployment led by COVID-19.

"Onset of COVID-19 has increased unemployment while inflation is skyrocketing. People are facing immense difficulty in even securing two times meal.

"I would urge the Prime Minister to extend its food security programme further for the next six months. Delhi government is doing the same with its free ration scheme," he posted on Twitter.

Kejriwal's tweet was a response to a news item stating that Modi Government has no proposal to further the food security programme beyond November 30.

On Friday, food secretary Sudhanshu Pandey was reported stating that there was no proposal at present to extend the PM-GKAY scheme because of the economic recovery following the pandemic and also due to the good in the open market policy.

The additional benefits under the Centre's scheme were started last year when the COVID-19 pandemic hit and continued till November 2020. It was reinstated again in May this year during the deadly second wave of COVID-19.

It was earlier announced by Modi that the benefits would continue till Diwali.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.