August 17, 2026 11:09 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Bilkis Bano

Bilkis Bano rape case: SC postpones hearing after Centre, Gujarat govt agree to produce documents on release of convicts

| @indiablooms | May 03, 2023, at 02:42 am

New Delhi: The Centre and the Gujarat government on Tuesday said they will submit the papers regarding the release of the Bilkis Bano rape convicts after which the Supreme Court postponed the hearing to the second week of July, media reports said.

The court said that it would schedule the issue for May 9th to decide on the timeline for rehearing the case when the court reopens after the summer recess

Further, a new bench will be created to preside over the case, it said.

Initially, both the Centre and the state had refused to produce the documents in court, asserting that they were "privileged".

They had also said that they were thinking about filing a review petition against the order requiring them to produce the necessary files. However, the judges were firm in their stance.

The bench of Justices KM Joseph and BV Nagarathna underlined that there must be "objective standards".

"If you do not show your reasons for grant of remission, then we will draw our own conclusions," the SC bench had said, reported NDTV.

During a hearing in March, the Supreme Court had described the gang rape of Bilkis Bano and the murder of her family as a "horrendous" act.

The court had also asked the Gujarat government if it applied uniform standards, similar to other murder cases while granting remission to the 11 convicts.

"Like you cannot compare apples with oranges, similarly massacre cannot be compared with single murder... Today it is Bilkis but tomorrow it can be anyone. It may be you or me," the court had said, according to the report.

In November last year, Bilkis Bano had filed a petition in the Supreme Court challenging the "premature" release of the 11 convicts by the Gujarat government. She argued that the remission of their sentence had "shaken the conscience of society".

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.