August 17, 2026 02:53 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Visa fraud
Image Credit: UNI

CBI files case against six people for alleged visa fraud

| @indiablooms | Dec 17, 2022, at 05:34 am

New Delhi/UNI: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) registered a case against six persons including two, who earlier worked in the Visa Department of the Embassy of France, Delhi on allegations of visa fraud, the central probe agency said on Friday.

According to the CBI statement, it was alleged that the two accused who earlier worked in the Visa Department of the Embassy of France conspired with others and perpetrated visa fraud during the period from Jan 1 to May 6, 2022.

It was further alleged that in pursuance to the said criminal conspiracy, applicants from Punjab and Jammu submitted fake and forged letters purportedly written by a private company based at Bengaluru to the Consulate General of France, Bengaluru for issuing entry visas, for their joining private companies in Port-Le-Havre, France.

On being approached by the applicants the said two officials in the Visa Department of the Embassy allegedly issued Entry Visas in favour of three other accused after taking alleged gratification of Rs 50 thousand per Visa, without the knowledge and approval of the Head of Visa Department.

It was also alleged that after the issuance of the entry visa, the said two officials displaced/destroyed the documents from the Visa Department, a CBI statement said.

During the period of five months, several files were allegedly handled by these accused which mostly pertain to individuals, young farmers or unemployed people from Punjab who had not earlier travelled.

It was further alleged that during the said period, the accused had perpetrated the fraud of huge amounts in the Visa Department of the Embassy, it added.

Searches were conducted on Friday at six locations including Delhi, Patiala, Gurdaspur and Jammu at the premises of the accused. Incriminating documents/articles including laptops, mobile phones, and suspicious passports have so far been recovered.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.