August 20, 2026 08:43 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Covid-19 | Maoists

Chhattisgarh: Police suspect Covid-19 spreading among Maoists; 10 dead, many sick

| @indiablooms | May 12, 2021, at 07:31 am

Dantewada/IBNS: At least 10 Maoists have died of Covid-19 or food poisoning in the Bastar region of Chhattisgarh, police have said, adding that some senior extremist leaders have also contracted the viral infection, reported media.

Dantewada Superintendent of Police Abhishek Pallava said according to villagers Naxals burned at least 10 bodies of cadres along the border of Bijapur and Sukma districts on Monday night, reports stated.

Police are suspecting that the deaths were caused by Covid-19.

Around two weeks ago 500 Maoists had gathered near Pidia village where some of them took medicines and ate packaged foods that had passed expiry date, police had confirmed the news, adding that many had fallen sick after consuming the items.

Senior leaders of the central regional company (CRC) of Maoists were also sick and they are making efforts to bring life saving drugs and vaccine doses to the interiors of Sukma, Bijapur and Dantewada districts, in a bid to protect themselves from the deadly virus, Pallava said.

He said Maoists do not adhere to Covid appropriate behaviours like wearing masks, maintaining social distancing. They are holding meetings in the interior pockets, exposing the villagers to the virulent virus, he added.

He also appealed to the Maoists to surrender, assuring them all necessary medical treatment.

Till Monday, Bastar division--seven districts including Dantewada--had registered 67,478 COVID-19 cases and 452 deaths.

After a deadly strain was detected in Andhra Pradesh, since last week Bastar region administration has started testing the occupants of passenger and cargo vehicles.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.