August 17, 2026 02:43 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Chhattisgarh

Chhattisgarh: RTI activist's burnt skeletal remains recovered from forest

| @indiablooms | Dec 25, 2022, at 04:07 pm

Raipur: The burnt skeletal remains of a missing RTI activist were found in a forest in Chhattisgarh’s Kabirdham district, media reports said.

Vivek Chaubey (32), an RTI activist who also worked as a journalist for a local newspaper, had been missing since November 12, according to a report in the media .

Police arrested four people in connection with his murder after an investigation was launched following a missing person’s complaint on November 16.

A cash reward was also announced for information about him, Kabirdham district Superintendent of Police Lal Umed Singh said.

On November 12, he left his home in Kawardha town and did not get back.

Police arrested the Sarpanch of Bokkhari village and his three associates after he roused suspicion with an announcement of a cash reward for leads into the murder.

The accused admitted to committing the murder during interrogation.

"In his statement, the accused sarpanch said Mr Chaubey was with him till late on November 12 night. An argument broke out between them, following which he hit Mr Chaubey on the head with a stick, leading to his death," the SP was quoted as saying in the report.

"The four accused then took the body into the jungle and burnt it using wood. They also dismantled the victim's motorcycle in three parts and buried it in the forest and kept his mobile phone with them," Singh added.

The accused also tried to mislead police by making calls from the victim’s phone from different locations to make it look like he was still alive and, on the move, the SP said.

A case has been registered and further probe is underway, the SP said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.