August 18, 2026 04:06 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Sino-India Conflict

China-India relation still not normal: Indian govt

| @indiablooms | Oct 08, 2022, at 02:39 am

New Delhi: The situation in the Line of Actual Control (LAC) is still not normal despite last month's disengagement of troops from the critical Gogra-Hot Springs in Ladakh, the Ministry of External Affairs said Friday.

"The situation is still not normal. Some positive steps have been taken, but some more need to be taken," foreign ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said at a news briefing in Delhi.

The disengagement process between Indian and Chinese troops in the Gogra-Hot Springs (PP-15) area started on September 8.

This had come after a consensus reached in the 16th round of military talks following a two-year standoff.

China has a series of border disputes with India stretching from India's Ladakh to its northeastern state of Arunachal Pradesh.

Beijing claims entire Arunachal Pradesh and considers it part of Tibet.

In June 2020, Indian soldiers engaged in a "violent face-off" with Chinese forces along the Galwan Valley in Eastern Ladakh, the Indian Army confirmed, adding that 20 soldiers, including a colonel, martyred in the clash.

Unconfirmed reports put the casualty on the Chinese side between 43 and 50 but China never confirmed the deaths.

India attributed the clashes "as a result of an attempt by the Chinese side to unilaterally change the status quo there."

In 2021, the two countries announced a disengagement, similar to that of Gogra-Hot Springs, from the Pangong Lake area on the disputed border in Ladakh, but other friction points remain.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.