August 19, 2026 09:47 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Jahangirpuri Violence

Delhi: Cong delegation visits Jahangirpuri to protest demolition after Hanuman Jayanti violence

| @indiablooms | Apr 21, 2022, at 10:35 pm

New Delhi: A Congress delegation comprising the party's Delhi chief Anil Chaudhary, in-charge Shaktisinh Gohil, and senior leader Ajay Maken among others Thursday visited Jahangirpuri and took stock of the situation, a day after a demolition drive was carried out by North Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) in the area which witnessed violence last week during a Hanuman Jayanti procession.

"You demolished poor people's houses as your intention was to harass them. Why did you send bulldozers to create unrest ?" Delhi Congress chief Chaudhary told reporters here, in a veiled attack on the ruling BJP.

He also accused Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal of maintaining silence over the issue.

Attacking the BJP-led government at the Centre over the demolition drive which was stopped following the Supreme Court's order on Wednesday, Congress MP Gohil said, "Principle of natural justice should be followed. No notice was issued and demolition carried."

We have come here to appeal to the people to maintain peace, he said. Former Union Minister and senior Congress leader Maken accused BJP of playing 'communal politics'.

"Demolition without prior notice is a violation of the Court's order. The government is diverting attention from 'inflation' with Jahangirpuri like-incidents," the former Delhi Congress president said.

Maken appealed to not seeing the demolition drive from a communal angle. "We appeal to the people to not look it through the prism of religion.

It is the poor people who have been subjected to atrocities. Congress party stands with the victims," he said.

(With UNI inputs)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.