August 20, 2026 02:58 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Farmers Protest

Farmers turn down Home Minister Amit Shah's proposal for talks saying offer should be unconditional

| @indiablooms | Nov 29, 2020, at 08:49 pm

Delhi/IBNS: The farmers agitating against the new farm laws have rejected Home Minister Amit Shah's proposal to hold talks on their grievances, saying that the offer is a conditional one.

Shah had said the Central government will hold talks with the farmers unions on December 3. However, if they want a meeting before that they must shift to a government-designated venue, he added.

According to media reports, the farmers declared their decision after a meeting this morning soon after Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke in favour of the farm laws in his monthly radio address "Mann Ki Baat".

"The demands that farmers made over the years, which every government had only promised to meet so far, have finally been met," PM Modi said.

"The Indian government has given shape to the laws after much deliberation. Most of the constraints of the farmers have been ended, they have been given new rights and new opportunities," he added.

The decision to turn down Amit Shah's proposal was taken by a seven-member committee of farmers that also includes Swaraj India chief Yogendra Yadav.

It was contended that the government wants them to shift base to a designated venue in order to discuss their demands. They said they would continue to sit on the borders of Delhi for the time being, said media reports.

The farmers unions have alleged that the government does not want to talk at all or it wouldn't have imposed conditions. They demanded that the government should come to Singhu at Delhi-Haryana border if it really wants to hold talks.

Meanwhile, the farmers broke barricades at Neral to enter the national capital.

Reports said those farmers who have managed to enter Delhi are camping at a ground in north Delhi while thousands others continue to agitate at the Singhu and Tikri borders.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.