August 20, 2026 04:45 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Hathras

Hathras incident: SIT given 10 more days to complete probe

| @indiablooms | Oct 07, 2020, at 07:17 pm

Lucknow/UNI: The Uttar Pradesh government has given ten more days to the Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the alleged gang-rape and murder of a 19-year-old girl in Hathras, officials said here on Wednesday.

Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath had set up the three-member SIT on Sept 30 which was given seven days' time to submit its report.

The deadline, which was to end today, has been extended by another ten days, officials here said.

"Following the orders of Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, the time given to the Special Investigation Team (SIT) to submit their report to the CM has been extended by 10 days," Awanish Kumar Awasthi, State Additional Chief Secretary, Home Department, confirmed.

The SIT, headed by Home Secretary Bhagwan Swarup and members -- IG Chandra Prakash and PAC Commandant Poonam, have submitted their preliminary report, on which the government had suspended 5 policemen, including the Superintendent of police (SP).

It had already visited the spot and had recorded the versions of the victim's family, policemen and even of the accused family.

All the four accused were also interrogated in the Aligarh jail.

Adityanath had already directed for trial of the case in a fast-track court.

The UP government has recommended a CBI probe into the entire incident and Narco test of the victim's family and police.

However, the victim's family were demanding a judicial probe and have refused to undergo a Narco test.

The 19-year-old victim was allegedly gang-raped brutally in a village in Hathras on Sept 14.

She was initially rushed to JN Medical College and Hospital in Aligarh, but was shifted to Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital after her condition deteriorated.

She kept fighting for her life for 15 days, but finally succumbed to her injuries on September 29.

All four accused, meanwhile, have been arrested by the police and were in jail.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.