August 20, 2026 12:20 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Galwan Clash | Beijing Winter Olympics
Image Credit: Pixabay

Indian diplomat to skip Beijing Winter Olympics after fresh controversy over Galwan clash

| @indiablooms | Feb 03, 2022, at 11:53 pm

Beijing: India has registered strong protest against Chinese government's decision to choose one of its soldiers involved in Galwan Valley clash as a torch bearer in the Beijing Winter Olympics opening ceremony.

India's Charge d'Affaires in Beijing has refused to attend the opening and closing ceremonies of the event over the controversy that followed a report in an Australian newspaper "The Klaxon", revealing that 38 Chinese soldiers had drowned in Galwan river while trying to flee a fierce counter-attack by the Indian Army on the night of June 15, 2020.

However, after 10 months of the clash, the Chinese government had that four of their soldiers had been killed, though according to western media the Chinese army had suffered several casualties in the fighting.

Criticing China's action, India said it was regrettable that China has "chosen to politicise" the games.

"We have seen the reports on this issue," the foreign ministry said today.

"It is indeed regrettable that the Chinese side has chosen to politicise an event like the Olympics. I wish to inform that our Charge d'Affaires of the Embassy of India in Beijing will not be attending the opening or the closing ceremony of the Beijing '22 Winter Olympics," the ministry added.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.