August 20, 2026 03:31 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Online Portal
Pixabay

Indian government attempting to bring online news portals, content providers under Information and Broadcasting Ministry   

| @indiablooms | Nov 11, 2020, at 09:16 pm

New Delhi: The Indian government is all set to bring the online news portals and content providers like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Hotstar under the Information and Broadcasting Ministry, media reports said on Wednesday.

The notification, signed by President Ram Nath Kovind, was issued on Monday. The government regulations also apply to news on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, reports NDTV.

Films, audio-visuals, and news and current affairs content on online platforms will come under the domain of the ministry, reports the Indian news channel.

So far, there was no law or even autonomous body to govern the digital contents.

People familiar with the matter told Hindustan Times that the order is the outcome of an exercise that had been started in the government some time back and isn’t directly linked to the petition before the Supreme Court.

“Prime Minister Narendra Modi had ordered for the change in the I&B ministry’s powers on May 30,” a senior government functionary told the newspaper.

He said the government had been receiving complaints about unregulated, sexually-explicit, vulgar and legally restricted content being put out by the OTT platforms and others.

“But there was no mechanism to redress the grievances that people had,” the functionary told the newspaper.  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.