August 20, 2026 09:37 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Karantaka
Image Credit: UNI

Karnataka announces night curfew from 9 pm to 6 am starting tomorrow

| @indiablooms | Apr 21, 2021, at 04:08 am

Bengaluru/IBNS: Karnataka has joined several other states in announcing a night curfew from 9 pm to 6 am beginning Wednesday and to be continued till May 4 in the light of increasing Covid cases across the country.

Karnataka, whose Covid cases have been steadily rising with a positivity rate above 12 per cent, took the strict measure after Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa tested positive for Covid for a second time.

Delhi became the first to declare a six-day lockdown on Monday.

It was followed by Jharkhand and later Telangana ordered a night curfew.

Maharashtra has indicated that it might take a similar step soon and an announcement is likely on Wednesday.

Earlier in the day, Uttar Pradesh has ordered a weekend lockdown too.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday ruled out any possibility of nationwide lockdown immediately, stating that such a move would be the last resort to combat the spread of Coronavirus.

Addressing the nation over the grim Covid situation in the country and amid a shortage of oxygen supply, Modi said: "We have to save our country from lockdown and I appeal to states to think of lockdown as the last resort. We should rather focus on micro-containment zones."

"We have to take care of our economy as well as save our citizens from the virus," he said.

In a grim situation, India recorded 1761 deaths due to Covid-19 between Monday and Tuesday mornings, a massive spike in the casualty figure registered in the country during the period of a single day, as per Ministry of Health released data.

The country also recorded 2,59,170 new cases in the past 24 hours.

The total death toll due to the virus in the country now stands at 1,80,530.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.