August 20, 2026 02:00 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Karnataka

Karnataka govt withdraws night curfew order a day after announcing it

| @indiablooms | Dec 25, 2020, at 03:19 am

Bengaluru/IBNS: The Karnataka government on Thursday withdrew the night curfew order, it issued a day before over concerns of more infectious and rapidly spreading mutant of coronavirus strain found in the UK.

However, just hours before the curfew order was to come into effect, the government withdrew the order "after getting feedback from the public".

Even the police had also released the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the curfew period.

This is the second U-turn by the Karanataka government in three days.

Earlier on Tuesday, Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa first said "there is no need" and on Wednesday he said the curfew would be imposed "in view of the new strain".

Later on Wednesday, an official order indicated different timings from those he mentioned and on Thursday the curfew was finally withdrawn.

"The night curfew had been announced to curtail the spread of the new coronavirus strain after getting advice from experts. After getting feedback from the public, the issue was re-examined, and in consultation with cabinet colleagues and senior officials, the decision has been withdrawn," a statement from the Chief Minister's office said on Thursday.

"The public should undertake self-regulation, use masks, social distance, avoid unnecessary travel and follow government guidelines on the control of COIVD-19," the statement added.

Karnataka, which followed Maharashtra in announcing a curfew, had said non-essential movement would be restricted from 11 pm to 5 am (the Chief Minister earlier said 10 pm and 6 am) till Jan 2.

According to reports, the curfew ordered over fears of the spread of the new more infectious mutant variant of the coronavirus was not received well by shopkeepers, traders and businessmen in Karnataka, especially during the Christmas holidays.

The new strain of the virus has sparked fresh concern worldwide as cases of the new coronavirus mutation have been also found in countries like Denmark, Italy, Gibraltar, the Netherlands and Australia besides the UK where it was first detected in September.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.