August 20, 2026 04:28 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Libya
Pixabay

Libya: India expresses happiness at release of seven Indian nationals 

| @indiablooms | Oct 12, 2020, at 11:33 pm

New Delhi/UNI: India on Monday expressed happiness at the release of seven of its nationals who had been abducted in Libya on September 14.

Seven Indian nationals from Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh, had been kidnapped from Asshwerif in Libya on September 14.

They were released on Sunday.

In a statement the External Affairs Ministry said, “We are happy to inform that the seven Indian nationals who had been abducted at Asshwerif in Libya on 14 September, were finally released yesterday (11 October). Our Ambassador to Tunisia Puneet Roy Kundal spoke to them over phone after they were handed over by the abductors to the company Al Shola Al Mudia.”

All of the released persons are said to be in good health and are currently staying in the company’s premises in Brega.

“We are trying to complete requisite formalities to enable their return to India,” it said.

Appreciating their efforts, the Ministry said, “We convey our sincere thanks to the Libyan authorities and the tribal elders from the region for their steadfast cooperation in securing the release of our nationals unharmed.”

“Both our Ambassador to Tunisia and our local consular staff were in constant touch with them and the company all through the crisis,” it added.

The Ministry had reinforced the ban on travel of Indians to Libya, irrespective of the purpose, on May 2016 because of the security situation there.

India had issued an advisory against travel to Libya for the first time in September 2015.  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.