May 18, 2026 08:27 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial | Left era ends in Kerala! V.D. Satheesan takes oath as CM after UDF’s massive comeback | Drone strike near UAE nuclear plant sparks panic—India calls it a ‘dangerous escalation' | Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple

London attack: Narendra Modi calls Theresa May, expresses solidarity

| | Mar 25, 2017, at 12:45 am
London/New Delhi, Mar 24 (IBNS): Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday called British Prime Minister Theresa May to express solidarity following terrorist attack in London this week.

"PM called UK PM H.E. @theresa_may to express India's solidarity & conveyed deepest condolences for victims of the terror attack in London," the PMO India tweeted.

The Islamic State (Isis) on Thursday claimed responsibility for the deadly London attack calling the unnamed attacker a "soldier", who British Prime Minister Theresa May said was "British born."

The Guardian said ISIS claimed the responsibility in a statement through the Amaq news agency, which it uses to broadcast propaganda and called  the unnamed man “a soldier of Islamic State”. The claim is unverified.

Meanwhile, British Prime Minister Theresa May said  the attacker was British-born and had been investigated “some years ago” by MI5 in relation to concerns about violent extremism.

She  told MPs in a statement to parliament on Thursday that the man, whose identity would be revealed in due course, was “not part of the current intelligence picture”.

"An act of terrorism tried to silence our democracy," she told the  House of Commons, which stood for a minute's silence in remembrance of the victims of Wednesday's attack.

“We are not afraid and our resolve will never waiver in the face of terrorism," she said.

Nine people have been arrested so far.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.