August 19, 2026 07:18 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
OBC Quota
Image Credit: UNI

Maharashtra OBC quota: Supreme Court slams poll panel

| @indiablooms | Jul 28, 2022, at 06:59 pm

New Delhi/UNI: The Supreme Court Thursday pulled up the Maharashtra State Election Commission (SEC) for rescheduling a poll for 367 local bodies to allow for reservation for OBCs (Other Backward Class).

A three-judge Bench led by Justice A M Khanwilkar rapped the SEC, saying the notification will stand.

"This is not acceptable. You (SEC) are trying to misread our order for your convenience and maybe under dictation of someone. Do you want us to issue contempt notice?" the court also comprising Justices Dinesh Maheshwari and C T Ravikumar asked.

The court made it clear that the election for 367 local bodies was to be notified under the May order.

This position had been re-stated in multiple orders. The state EC could not re-notify the election programme of these 367 local bodies to allow for OBC reservations.

Senior advocate Shekhar Naphade, appearing for the state government, said the SEC affidavit said the election was deferred for two municipalities.

Hearing this, the Supreme Court slammed the SEC and clarified that the SEC cannot interfere with the election that has already been notified. At the most, the dates can be re-aligned.

The court directed the SEC not to re-notify the election programme to these 367 local bodies. It, indicated that contempt action may be initiated in case of a breach of the court order.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.