August 18, 2026 03:29 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Narendra Modi
Image: UNI/PIB

Narendra Modi to visit Morbi bridge collapse site tomorrow

| @indiablooms | Oct 31, 2022, at 10:48 pm

New Delhi/Morbi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit the site in Morbi town in Gujarat where the collapse of a British-era built cable bridge on Sunday left 140 people dead.

Modi is currently visiting Gujarat.

He will visit the site of the mishap on Tuesday.

Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel tweeted this, adding that he gave necessary guidance to ongoing relief and rescue operations, reports UNI.

A First Information Report for culpable homicide has been registered by the Gujarat Police after a century-old bridge collapsed in Morbi, killing over 140 people, as per officials.

The case was registered hours after Sunday evening the colonial era cable bridge snapped in Morbi town plunging hundreds of people into the 10-feet deep Machchhu river below.

Police said the bridge that had just been reopened less than a week back for the public was crammed with people when it collapsed around 6:30 pm.

Most of the people who came on the bridge had come for Chhath Puja.

The case has been filed under IPC sections 304 and 308 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) even as several are missing and more than a 100 have been admitted and are under treatment, officials have told the media.

Rajkot range IG Ashok Yadav earlier on Monday put the toll at 132 as he said that seven more injured were hospitalised and feared the toll could increase. Searching for people in the river is still underway, he added.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.