August 23, 2026 11:47 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
‘Reservation for poor, not caste’: Stir at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar | Dalit woman 'gangrape-murder' shocker in Karnataka: 4 arrested after body found in well | India dismisses Pakistan's 'frustration' over US envoy's J&K remark | Centre denies US visit clearance to Telangana CM Revanth Reddy, says programmes 'not appropriate' | Delhi Police register FIR in pellet gun case after Rahul Gandhi's sit-in | Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence

Nirbhaya Gangrape Case: Convicts move court again, allege Tihar Jail coming in way of filing mercy plea

| @indiablooms | Jan 25, 2020, at 09:28 am

New Delhi/UNI: The lawyer appearing for convicts in Nirbhaya gang rape and murder case on Friday moved a petition in Patiala House Court against Tihar Jail authorities for delaying in handing over certain documents.

The counsel for two of the four death row convicts alleged that Tihar Jail authorities are yet to release documents which are required to file curative petitions for Akshay Kumar Singh (31) and Pawan Singh (25).

The plea moved by the lawyer will be heard on Saturday at the Patiala House Court.

The apex court had recently dismissed the curative petition for the other two convicts -Vinay Kumar Sharma (26) and Mukesh Singh (32).
A medical student, referred to as Nirbhaya, was gang-raped and brutally assaulted in December 2012, and four accused Vinay Sharma, Mukesh Kumar, Akshya Kumar and Pawan Gupta were convicted by the court for the heinous crime.

Earlier on January 7, Additional Session Judge Satish Kumar Arora had passed an order, issuing death warrants for the four Nirbhaya case convicts for January 22 at 0700 hrs.

However, in a further hearing on January 17, the court had issued fresh death warrants for February 1, after the rejection of mercy petition of one of the convicts by President of India.  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.