August 22, 2026 05:22 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences

Over 100 people gather at Karnataka's Kalburgi for a chariot pulling festival defying COVID-19 lockdown

| @indiablooms | Apr 17, 2020, at 08:24 pm

Kalburgi/IBNS: In another incident of blatant defiance of lockdown norms, a large number of people gathered at a temple in one of Karnataka's COVID-19 hotspots Kalburgi, said media reports.

Devotees gathered at Siddalingeshwara temple to located in Ravoor village of Kalaburagi district to participate in chariot pulling festival, despite strict government orders against mass gatherings amid COVID-19 lockdown, said a Times Now report.

The report said Kalaburagi Superintendent of Police Lada Martin Maebanian has confirmed that at least 100-150 people gathered near Siddalingeshwara temple today around 6:30 am for about 20 minutes and participated in the chariot pulling festival.

Karnataka has reported 315 COVID-19 cases with 13 deaths. Kalburgi district has 20 coronavirus cases with three deaths so far.

Reportedly, the temple officials were warned against organising the festival. Though the festival is usually organised in the evenings, it was done in the morning to avoid the police, said the reports.

Media reports said 20 people have been charged in the case and police are investigating how the event was organised despite a complete ban on religious gatherings amid lockdown. The temple authorities had given in writing that they would tone down the celebrations and cancel the chariot pulling ceremony, they added.

Five organisers have been arrested and two officials, including a policeman, have been suspended, said the reports.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.