August 19, 2026 09:45 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Jahangirpuri Violence

SC orders status quo for 2 weeks in Delhi's Jahangirpuri

| @indiablooms | Apr 21, 2022, at 10:09 pm

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday expressed displeasure over the demolition in Jahangirpuri carried out by Delhi's municipal authorities despite its stay order and added that the "status quo"  be maintained for two weeks.

A two-judge bench led by Justice L Nageswara Rao and also comprising Justice B R Gavai ordered the North Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) to maintain the status quo in the area mainly populated by economically weaker sections.

"Status quo has to be maintained till further orders in the Jahangirpuri case. List the matter after two weeks and pleadings to be completed till then," the bench said.

The apex court heard a petition filed by the Jamiat Ulema-i-Hind against the allegedly illegal encroachment in Jahangirpuri, which saw violence days earlier.

The bench also considered a petition filed by the same petitioner against the razing of properties of people who were accused of stoning on the occasion of Ram Navami in various states of the country.

On Wednesday, the top court ordered a halt to demolition in Jahangirpuri area after the matter was mentioned by senior advocate Dushyant Dave.

Even after Wednesday's order, the demolition went on, forcing the Chief Justice to tell the Secretary General of the court to order the NDMC Mayor and the Delhi Police Commissioner to immediately end the razing.

By the time the drive ended at 12.45 pm, a lot of demolition had been carried out.

On Thursday, advocate Dave hit out at the BJP-led municipal corporation.

"You don't want to touch unauthorized constructions in Sainik Farms or Golf Links but target the poor in Jahangirpuri?" Dave asked.

The Bench observed: "We'll take a serious view of the demolition that took place after information was given to the Mayor."

Dave said illegal constructions were not confined to Jahangirpuri.

"It is a matter affecting the social fabric of our country. A particular section of the society is being targeted."

He said that both Babasaheb Ambedkar and Sardar Patel had spoken of a situation like this.

"This is the warning they gave. If this is allowed, there will be no rule of law left. How is it that the President of the BJP writes a letter to the Municipal Commissioner to start demolitions and they demolish after that? The Municipal Corporation Act provides for service of notice, appeals," Dave said.

(With UNI inputs)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.