August 20, 2026 11:29 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

SC provides six more months to complete trial in sexual assault case against Malayalam actor Dileep

| @indiablooms | Mar 02, 2021, at 12:20 am

New Delhi/IBNS: The Supreme Court today extended the time to complete the trial against Malayalam actor Dileep in a sexual assault case of a female actor by six months.

This is the second time the top court has given extra time to complete the trial as the local court in Kochi where the case is subjudice has sought more time due to a litigation pending in the High Court.

In 2017, Malayalam actor Dileep was arrested on the charges of abducting and molesting the actress inside her car, said an NDTV report. However, he was released on bail after two months.

The trial began in November 2019, but it was halted after the prosecution filed a case in the High Court seeking the removal of the trial court judge, alleging bias. The victim also made the same demand, according to the report.

The High Court rejected the plea, after which the state government moved the Supreme Court.

However, this plea was also rejected on the grounds that such allegations were "unwarranted", stated the report.

A petition seeking cancellation of Dileep's bail was also rejected by the Additional Special Sessions Court in Kochi last month, an ANI report said.

The prosecution has alleged that the accused actor had intimidated two witnesses to depose in his favour, but he pointed out that the Crime Branch had not found any evidence to prove this allegation.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.