August 20, 2026 06:58 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
CS Assault Case

Supreme Court nixes Delhi police petition in CS assault case

| @indiablooms | Jul 01, 2021, at 11:18 pm

New Delhi/UNI: The Supreme Court on Thursday dismissed a Delhi Police plea challenging the High Court order directing it to supply the copy of statement of a witness to Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia and 11 other MLAs in the 2018 alleged assault case of then-Chief Secretary Anshu Prakash.

Upholding the High Court's decision, a bench led by Justice DY Chandrachud told the police that it is the basic principle of natural justice and common sense that the accused must have the copy.

"It might be a political hot potato, but legally it is nothing," the bench also comprising Justice MR Shah said.

Police pointed out that this is a question of statement not being recorded under 161, and it is an important matter with ramifications elsewhere.

However, the bench junked the plea stating this will not have ramifications.

The criminal case is in connection with the alleged incident on the night of February 19, 2018, in which Chief Secretary Anshu Prakash was allegedly assaulted by AAP MLAs in the presence of Kejriwal at the Chief Minister's residence, where he had been called for a late-night meeting.

In this case, Kejriwal, Sisodia, and nine other AAP MLAs were granted bail in October 2018.

The other two MLAs, Amanatullah Khan, and Prakash Jarwal were granted bail earlier by the high court.

Following the alleged incident, the IAS officers association and the Delhi government had a bitter tussle accusing each other of sabotaging the progress of the state.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.