August 22, 2026 06:37 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences
TV grab

We are in stage 2, not in stage 3 clearly: Indian Council of Medical Research on COVID 19 outbreak

| @indiablooms | Mar 17, 2020, at 05:21 pm

New Delhi/IBNS: Balram Bhargava, director-general of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), on Tuesday confirmed that India is still in phase 2 (local transmission) of the COVID19 outbreak which has claimed three lives in the country so far.

"We already know that we are in stage 2," he said while addressing press conference.

Stage 2 of the coronavirus is where the disease transmission is limited to those with travel history to the affected countries and others in contact with the infected persons. In stage 3 of the virus, it starts spreading through the community.

He said the country is not passing through stage three of the outbreak clearly.

"We have 72 functional laboratories in ICMR system," he said.

As the Novel Coronavirus engulfed the entire world, the death toll from the virus in India rose to three on Tuesday as a 64-year old man passed away at Mumbai's Kasturba Hospital.

The deceased, who had returned from Dubai, was first admitted to Hinduja Hospital and later shifted to an isolation facility at Kasturba Hospital.

The man's wife and son have also tested COVID-19 positive.

So far, 126 people including 13 cured and three deaths have been infected by the deadly Coronavirus.

The western state of Maharashtra recorded the maximum number of positive cases (36) followed by Kerala (22).

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.