August 17, 2026 11:08 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
#MeToo
Image Credit: UNI

'Will resign if PM Modi or BJP asks me to do so': Brij Bhushan as wrestlers' protest intensifies

| @indiablooms | May 03, 2023, at 05:10 pm

New Delhi/IBNS: Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, who is accused of sexually harassing women athletes, on Wednesday said he would resign only if Prime Minister Narendra Modi asks him to.

Speaking to English news channel NDTV, Brij Bhushan, who is an MP of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), said, "Why would PM Modi ask me to resign? And in case he asks me to do so, I will resign.

"If my party's image is tarnished because of me, I will resign if the Prime Minister of my party asks me."

Several women wrestlers have filed complaints with the police accusing Brij Bhushan of sexually harassing them.

Several wrestlers including Vinesh Phogat and Sakshi Malik have resumed their protest at Delhi's Jantar Mantar against Singh accusing him of sexual harassment.

Earlier this year, the athletes had called off their protests after they were assured that a committee would investigate the allegations.

The protesters have termed the previous assurances of the probe as "false".

In January, the Sports Ministry had formed a five-member committee to investigate the allegations.

The committee was headed by Olympic medalist MC Mary Kom.

Earlier, Brij Bhushan had expressed his no intention to resign from the post.

"Resigning from the post means accepting the allegation. My term is about to get completed and I don't want to relinquish the post as a criminal. My post will end automatically once a new body is formed," he had said.

Singh said the wrestlers moved to the Supreme Court even before the report of the inquiry committee came out. He questioned why the minor was not brought before the inquiry committee.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.