August 20, 2026 10:03 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
India-China

Would like to see disengagement in remaining areas of East Ladakh: India on standoff with China

| @indiablooms | Apr 09, 2021, at 05:00 am

New Delhi/IBNS: India on Thursday said it would like to see disengagement by Chinese troops in the remaining areas of Eastern Ladakh which would lead to restoration of peace with Beijing.

"As I had outlined last week, we would like to see disengagement in the remaining areas which would lead to de-escalation in Eastern Ladakh and that would hopefully lead to restoration of peace and tranquillity and provide conditions for progress of our overall bilateral relationship," Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said during a media briefing.

"During the meeting on March 12th, on the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination WMCC, both sides had agreed to convene the 11th round of Senior Commanders’ Meeting," he said.

"When I have something more to share on this, I will certainly do so," he added.

The 11th round of India-China military-level talks will take place on April 9 in which issues like the stand-off with the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) is likely to be discussed.

The status quo on both sides of Pangong Tso has been restored to the pre-April 2020 positions but some Chinese soldiers continue to be present in the Gogra-Hot Springs area.

Indian and Chinese sides last met on Feb 20. The meeting continued for 16 hours and both the parties concluded that Pangong Tso disengagement offered them a "good basis" to resolve all outstanding issues at friction points in  “a steady and orderly” manner.

The two countries have been holding military-level talks for nearly a year now after tensions escalated along the LAC.

On June 15 last year, 20 Indian soldiers were killed in the line of duty in a physical clash at the Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh.

Troops of the Indian Army and China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) started disengaging from the LAC after continuous efforts of negotiations at the military and diplomatic level.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.