August 17, 2026 07:26 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

45 children killed in Sri Lankan blasts: UNICEF

| @indiablooms | Apr 24, 2019, at 09:26 am

New York, Apr 24 (IBNS): The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)  said 45 children were killed in the eight blasts that rocked Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday.

"News of how these attacks have affected children and adolescents is still coming in, but we now know that 45 children – both Sri Lankan and other nationalities – have been killed, with scores more injured and fighting for their lives in intensive care units across the country," UNICEF said in a statement.

Eight blasts on Easter Sunday rocked Sri Lanka and left 321 people killed.

The incident has been condemned across the globe.

The Islamic State on Tuesday claimed responsibility for the blasts.

So far, 40 people have been arrested in connection in the incidents.

As per Sri Lankan government's website: "The death toll from multiple bomb explosions that targeted churches and luxury hotels on Easter Sunday rose to 321 with some of the injured at hospitals succumbing to their injuries overnight.Around 500 people were wounded in the blasts, and some of them are still receiving treatments at hospitals."

Police media spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekara told the news portal that the police have arrested 40 suspects in connection with the bomb attacks.

All of the individuals arrested are Sri Lankans.

"Six Bombs exploded at the St. Anthony's Church in Kochchikade, St. Sebastian's Church in Katuwapitiya, Katana, and Zion Church in Batticaloa while hotels Kingsbury, Shangri-La and Cinnamon Grands came under attack. A Seventh bomb exploded near the National Zoo in Dehiwala," read a statement issued by the Sri Lankan government website.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.