August 17, 2026 06:18 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

Afghanistan: 2 bombers shot dead in Nangarhar

| @indiablooms | Jul 16, 2018, at 09:49 am

Kabul, July 16 (IBNS): Security officials have shot dead two suicide bombers in Ghanikhel district of eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan, media reports said on Monday.

The bombers were shot dead before they could execute their plans.

Idris Momand, spokesman for the eastern border police 1st unit, told Pajhwok Afghan News security forces shot a suicide bomber in his explosives-laden vehicle after arriving near the first security check-post.

However, the attacker detonated his explosives, only killing himself at around 3:15pm, he told the Afghanistan-based news agency, adding the second bomber had disembarked from the vehicle but he was also shot dead.

7 killed in Kabul suicide blast:

A suicide bombing close to the gate of the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development (MRRD) in Darulaman in PD 6 of Afghanistan's Kabul city left at least seven people killed, media reports said on Sunday.

The suicide bomber reportedly detonated his explosives.

The explosion took place at around 4.30 pm, reports said.

Civilian death in Afghanistan hit record high:

The number of civilians killed in Afghanistan hit a record high in the first half of the year, despite last month’s unprecedented ceasefire between the Afghan Government and the Taliban, the United Nations reported on Sunday.

According to the latest figures released on Sunday by the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, known as UNAMA, there were 5,122 civilian casualties (1,692 deaths and 3,430 injured) in teh first six months of 2018 – a three per cent overall decrease in casualties from last year.

But civilian deaths were up by one per cent, the most recorded in the same time period since UNAMA began documentation of civilian casualties in 2009.

The continuing record high casualty rates  are being inflicted on civilians despite the unilateral ceasefires by Government and Taliban that occurred over the Eid al-Fitr holiday period between 15-17 June 2018.

 

Image: Wikimedia Commons

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.