August 17, 2026 09:16 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

Airstrikes kill 8 civilians in E. Afghan province: official

| @indiablooms | Feb 15, 2020, at 05:20 pm

Afghanistan/Xinhua/UNI: Eight local villagers, including a child, were killed following airstrikes in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar on Friday, a provincial official said on Saturday.

"Two running vehicles carrying villagers were struck by a missile fired from an airplane in Surkh Rod district Friday evening. The victims were back on their way from a local bazaar before their vehicles being struck," a local official told Xinhua anonymously.

In the meantime, provincial government spokesman Attaullah Khogiani told Xinhua that airstrikes conducted by NATO-led coalition forces targeted two vehicles in Surkh Rod.

"Local officials are visiting the village where the incident occurred. The initial information found that the victims were civilians but more time is needed to find more facts about the incident," he said, adding that more information will be released soon.

He said one child was among the killed and two vehicles were also damaged in the strikes.

More than 2,817 civilians were killed and over 7,955 others injured in conflict-related incidents in Afghanistan in 2019, according to the figures released by Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC).

The IED explosions, ground fighting, and suicide attacks were the leading cause of civilians' casualties in 2019, followed by targeted attacks and pro-government forces-related airstrikes, according to AIHRC.

The AIHRC has attributed 71 percent of the civilian casualties to the Taliban militants, 5 percent to Islamic State (IS) militants, and 14 percent to Afghan security forces and foreign troops over the period while 10 percent were caused by other reasons.

Out of the total casualties, 445 children were killed and over 2,200 injured last year in separate incidents, according to the agency. 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.