August 17, 2026 07:49 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

At least 89 arrested in Sri Lanka over Easter bombings

| @indiablooms | May 21, 2019, at 06:08 pm

Colombo, May 21 (Xinhua/UNI) At least 89 suspects have been arrested over their alleged links to the Easter Sunday terror explosions which killed over 250 people and injured over 500 in Sri Lanka on April 21, the police said here Tuesday.

The suspects are currently under the custody of the Criminal Investigations Department and the Terrorism Investigations Department.

Police Spokesperson SP Ruwan Gunasekara said that search operations were ongoing across the country to hunt for more suspects who would be linked to the terror attacks but assured that most of those involved had now been arrested.

Hundreds of Sri Lankans on Tuesday visited the grave sites of the terror victims to pay tribute as the nation marked one month since the suicide attacks which targeted three luxury hotels and three churches.

Sri Lanka's Army Commander Mahesh Senanayake, in a special statement on Sunday, urged people to return to normalcy and to send children back to school, assuring that all precautionary security measures had been put in place.

Senanayake said that search operations and investigations were ongoing and those operations were "effectively advancing now with a marked progress as at now."

Sri Lanka continues to be under a state of emergency following the April 21 explosions.  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.