August 19, 2026 10:09 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Australia IT Attack
Image: Unsplash

Australia cut access to parliament's IT over fears of cyber attack from abroad - Military

| @indiablooms | Mar 29, 2021, at 12:59 am

Moscow/Sputnik: Australia's Assistant Minister for Defense Andrew Hastie said on Sunday that the government cut access to the Parliament's IT and email services in a bid to thwart a cyber attack incoming from a foreign actor.

The parliamentary IT system went down on Saturday. For over 30 hours there was limited or no access to IT and mobile devices. The outage took place around the same time the Nine TV Network's IT system was crashed.

"The issue relates to an external provider, and once the issue was detected the connection to government systems was cut immediately as a precaution," Hastie said, as quoted by the News.com.au portal.

The media outlet learned from government sources that the attack might have come from abroad, possibly from China.

The Department of Parliamentary Services (DPS) has confirmed in an email to the staff that the issue was being investigated.

"An ICT outage is currently affecting various ICT services including email, calendar and contacts on smartphones and tablets,’’ the DPS statement read, as cited by the news portal.

Earlier in the day, Australia’s TV Blackbox television information website reported that hackers allegedly brought down the Nine Network, wiping out its morning live shows.

On Sunday morning, Channel Nine was unable to air its live shows from its Sydney headquarters, reporting "technical issues." Though the network described the problem as such, entertainment reporter Peter Ford tweeted, citing sources, that the breakdown was being investigated as a possible cyberattack. The TV Blackbox website claims that security experts told the network "the attack is likely from Russia due to the sophistication of the hack."

The alleged hackers reportedly sought to stop Monday’s episode of Under Investigation from going to air, as the program was meant to focus on the Russian leadership's alleged use of chemical weapons against political opponents.

Russia has repeatedly refuted its involvement in both cyber and chemical attacks, recalling that it completed verified destruction of its chemical weapons stockpile in 2017.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.