August 17, 2026 06:27 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Ontario | COVID-19
Image Credit: Doug Ford Twitter handle

Canada's Ontario announces new public health measures, restrictions amid rise of Omicron variant

| @indiablooms | Jan 05, 2022, at 04:27 am

Toronto/IBNS:  A number of new public health measures were announced  on Jan 3 during a news conference by the Ontario Premier Doug Ford joined by his ministers of health and finance, as well as Dr. Kieran Moore, Ontario's chief medical officer of health, and Matthew Anderson, CEO of Ontario Health 

The public health measures announced included moving schools online for at least two weeks until at least Jan 17 due to the fear that teachers may fall sick, temporarily closing indoor dining and gyms, and pausing non-urgent medical procedures due to the record-high case counts that, according to public health officials, threaten to overwhelm the province's health-care system.

The new restrictions which kicks off on Jan 5 at 12:01 a.m. will remain in effect for at least 21 days, until Jan 26 as part of a modified version of Step Two of the province's Roadmap to Reopen, which was first implemented earlier last year.

Ontario had already been warned by the province's science table nearly three weeks back about the threat caused by the Omicron variant to the stability of the healthcare system.

Ontario reported another 13,578 new cases of COVID-19 Monday, ahead of the news conference, followed by 16,714 cases on Sunday and a pandemic record high of 18,445 cases on Saturday.

"Our public health experts tell us we could see hundreds of thousands of cases every day," Ford said in the news conference and added, "If we don't do everything possible to get this variant under control, the results could be catastrophic. It is a risk I cannot take."

Ford also said that this could mean there could be a shortage of thousands of beds in the hospitals leading to a pause in all non-urgent procedures.

"We anticipate through the modeling that those 1,200 to 1,500 beds will be essential to be able to provide oxygen and care," Moore said and added that the large increase in the Omicron cases could cause 20 to 30 percent of employees to be absent in all sectors across Ontario in the coming weeks.

Anderson said the directive would affect between 8,000 and 10,000 procedures a week and added, "It was a tough decision, a big cost, but something that is necessary given what we're seeing in the numbers."

(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.