August 19, 2026 10:36 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Canadian Nationals
Image: UNI

China's judicial dept might conduct 1st trial of two Canadian nationals soon

| @indiablooms | Mar 15, 2021, at 04:20 am

Beijing: Canadian nationals Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor, who were prosecuted by the procuratorates in China for suspected crimes undermining China's national security in June 2020, are going to be tried soon, a source close to the matter told the Global Times.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said the steps against the persons have been taken as per law.

"The Chinese judicial authorities handle the cases in accordance with law and fully protect the lawful rights and interests of the relevant personnel. As for the specific situation you mentioned, I have no information to offer at present," Zhao Lijian told the media.

"As for the China-US high-level strategic dialogue, the specific agenda has yet to be decided by the two sides," he said.

"As I said just now, China's judiciary handles the cases in accordance with law and their legitimate rights and interests are fully protected. The Canadian Embassy in China paid consular visits to the two individuals on multiple occasions," he said.

Kovrig was accused of having used an ordinary passport and business visa to enter China to steal sensitive information and intelligence through contacts in China since 2017, while Spavor was accused of being a key source of intelligence for Kovrig, reports Global Times.

They are suspected of crimes endangering China's national security, and have already been prosecuted, the newspaper reported.

Another source close to the matter told the Global Times previously that due to the COVID-19 epidemic situation, the hearings for both cases have yet to commence, and the court will push forward the trial soon.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.