August 17, 2026 02:53 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

Donor 'consortium' needed to bolster Haiti's long-term recovery and eradicate cholera, UN adviser says

| | Jan 18, 2017, at 01:27 pm
New York, Jan 18 (Just Earth News): A senior United Nations adviser called on Tuesday for a new “consortium” of donors committed to improving Haiti's water supply and sanitation services to help finally eradicate cholera from the island, in support of the newly-elected President Jovenel Moïse.

Dr. David Nabarro, the UN Special Adviser to the Secretary-General, will on Wednesday take this message to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, where he aims to secure support from donor countries, development banks and the private sector for Haiti's long-term recovery.

“I want to see if it's possible to get that support in the form of a consortium, making certain that Haitians are in charge […] but ensuring there is backup,” he told UN News in an interview, adding that donors want to be sure that “we are going to stick with this and make certain that the strategy is pursued to the finish.”

“I will be responsible for making certain that we do everything we possibly can on this,” said Dr. Nabarro.

Haiti has been dealing with a cholera outbreak since October 2010, some nine months after it suffered a devastating earthquake. The outbreak has affected an estimated 788,000 people and claimed the lives of more than 9,000. Concerted national and international efforts, backed by the United Nations, have resulted in a 90 per cent reduction in the number of suspected cases.

The UN apologized to the people of Haiti last month for the loss of life and suffering caused, and the Special Adviser said he is “committed to a new and enhanced approach on cholera in Haiti.”

The new approach to tackling the disease centres on two different elements, known as 'Track One' and 'Track Two.'

'Track One' consists of a greatly intensified and better-resourced effort to respond to and reduce the incidence of cholera, through addressing Haiti's short- and longer-term issues of water, sanitation and health systems and improved access to care and treatment.

'Track Two' of the approach is the development of a package of material assistance and support to those Haitians most directly affected by cholera, centred on the victims and their families and communities. It is expected that it will also involve affected individuals and communities in the development of the package.

Dr. Nabarro praised donations already made by France and Republic of Korea to the anti-cholera effort, which have pledged $636,000 and $1 million respectively to UN funds. Canada has also recently pledged $4.6 million.

Photo: Logan Abassi/MINUSTAH

 

Source: www.justearthnews.com

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.