August 17, 2026 07:42 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

Easter Sunday attacks: Sri Lankan government lifts ban on social media

| @indiablooms | May 01, 2019, at 07:56 am

Colombo, May 1 (IBNS): The Sri Lankan government has lifted the ban on the social media which was imposed following the Easter Sunday blasts which had rocked the Island nation last week.

"President Maithripala Sirisena has informed the Telecommunications Regulatory Commission to lift the social media ban with immediate effect, which was imposed in the aftermath of the Easter Sunday terror attacks, issuing a press release, the Department of Government Information announced today," posted news.lk.

The Sri Lankan government said the ban was imposed on Facebook, WhatsApp, Viber and YouTube taking into consideration the security concerns which remained high after the carnage carried out by  terrorists.

"However, the general public is urged to be responsible when sharing information via social media," the government said in a statement.

At least 253 people were killed in eight bkasts that rocked Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday.

The Islamic State took responsibility for the blasts.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.