August 17, 2026 07:34 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

Islamic State claims responsibility for Sri Lanka blasts

| @indiablooms | Apr 23, 2019, at 04:50 pm

Colombo, Apr 23 (IBNS): Ending all speculations, Islamic State on Tuesday claimed responsibility for the Sri Lankan blasts which left 321 people killed.

As per Site intelligence group website: "Through its 'Amaq News Agency, the Islamic State (IS) claimed credit for the Easter Day bombings in Sri Lanka."

So far, 40 people have been arrested in connection in the incidents.

As per Sri Lankan government's website: "The death toll from multiple bomb explosions that targeted churches and luxury hotels on Easter Sunday rose to 321 with some of the injured at hospitals succumbing to their injuries overnight.Around 500 people were wounded in the blasts, and some of them are still receiving treatments at hospitals."

Police media spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekara told the news portal that the police have arrested 40 suspects in connection with the bomb attacks.

All of the individuals arrested are Sri Lankans.

"Six Bombs exploded at the St. Anthony's Church in Kochchikade, St. Sebastian's Church in Katuwapitiya, Katana, and Zion Church in Batticaloa while hotels Kingsbury, Shangri-La and Cinnamon Grands came under attack. A Seventh bomb exploded near the National Zoo in Dehiwala," read a statement issued by the Sri Lankan government website.

Islamic extremists carried out Sunday's coordinated attacks in retaliation for a March attack on two mosques in New Zealand, Ruwan Wijewardana, the Sri Lankan State Defense Minister, was quoted as saying by CNN.

Addressing parliament today, Wijewardana earlier said that initial investigations showed "the chain of bombings" was carried out by "a radical Islam group" which he named as the National Tawheed Jamath (NTJ), reported the American news channel.

Meanwhile,  on Easter Sunday, Sri Lanka’s Capital Colombo was hit by a series of coordinated bombings in churches and hotels.

New Zealand Attack:

A person had attacked two mosques in New Zealand's Christchurch recently and killed at least 50 people.  The attacker was arrested.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.