August 17, 2026 06:47 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Canada Mass Graves
Wikipedia Creative Commons

Mass grave of 215 children found in Canada's indigenous school

| @indiablooms | May 30, 2021, at 01:16 am

A mass grave has been discovered with the remains of 215 children in Kamloops Indian Residential School in British Columbia's Canada with  Prime Minister Justin Trudeau calling the discovery as something that "breaks his heart".

Stories of lost and missing children or their disappearance were frequent in the southern B.C. Nation of Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc and beyond, said The Globe and Mail.

The news of the discovery was given by the chief of the Tk'emlups te Secwepemc First Nation.

The discovery was made using ground-penetrating radar and after decades of work on the grounds of the site of Canada’s largest residential school that once stood there but closed in 1978.
Preliminary efforts to find the remains at the school site started 20 years ago.

The media reports said the people in the community had been aware and the discovery has opened a new chapter in the traumatic legacy of residential schools across Canada.

A statement released by Kukpi7 Casimir’s office on Thursday said the findings confirmed “an unthinkable loss that was spoken about but never documented.”

The now defunct institution opened in 1890 as the Kamloops Industrial School, later known as the Kamloops Indian Residential School.

“It’s a harsh reality, and it’s our truths. It’s our history, and it’s something… we’ve always had to fight to prove,” Kukpi7 (Chief) Rosanne Casimir of the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc, or Kamloops Indian Band, said in a news conference over Zoom on Friday afternoon.
Media reports said that the children were removed forcibly from their families and communities, many of them faced brutal physical, emotional and sexual abuse, were deprived of food and proper nutrition, and suffered.

The Canadian government’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission on the legacy of the schools have said the rates of deaths in these residential schools were “very high”, especially during times of epidemic or disease.

The reaction to the discovery of the mass grave has been that of grief, shock and remorse.

"The news that remains were found at the former Kamloops residential school breaks my heart," tweeted Prime Minister of Canada Justin Trudeau.

"This is absolutely heartbreaking news. I spoke to Kukpi7 Casimir this evening to offer the full support of Indigenous Services Canada as the community, and surrounding communities, honour and mourn the loss of these children. #cdnpoli," wrote Marc Miller, Minister of Indigenous Services in Canada's Federal Cabinet.

In 2008, a commission was launched to document the impacts of the system of residential schools revealed that a large number of indigenous children did not return to their homes.

In 2015, Truth and Reconciliation report said it resulted in the killinhgs of hundreds of children amounting to "cultural genocide".

In 2008, the Canadian government tendered a formal apology for the system.

The Missing Children Project documents the children who died while attending these schools and the places of their burial.

Till now, over 4,100 children who died while living in these residentials schools have been identified, it said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.