August 17, 2026 06:29 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

Pakistan: Supreme Court suspends HC ruling for recount in Imran's constituency

| @indiablooms | Aug 08, 2018, at 01:27 pm

Islamabad, Aug 8 (IBNS): The Pakistan Supreme Court on Wednesday suspended the Lahore  High Court's (LHC) order to re-tabulate results of NA-131 constituency and accepted PTI chief Imran Khan's petition against the ruling for hearing.

According to Geo News, Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader Khawaja Saad Rafique had petitioned for a recount in the closely contested NA-131 Lahore-9 constituency, from where Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chief Imran Khan had emerged victorious.

He had alleged that the presiding officer deliberately rejected hundreds of votes.

Imran had defeated Rafique by 680 ballots.

The PML-N leader had then requested the constituency's returning officer (RO) to conduct a recount of the rejected votes. Following the re-tabulation, Imran's margin of victory had reduced to 608 votes.

Later, Rafique made a petition to re-tabulate results of the entire constituency which was rejected by the returning officer. The PML-N leader then challenged the decision in LHC's election tribunal. 

On August 4, the LHC heard Rafique's petition and ordered a recount in the constituency and ordered the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) to withhold Imran's victory notification for NA-131.

On Tuesday, the electoral body had notified all successful candidates but withheld those challenged in courts, including Imran's notification for the said constituency.

The PTI legal counsel Babar Awan then moved the apex court in this regard.

As the hearing went underway today, the Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice Mian Saqib Nisar said that NA-131's result had already been declared.

Rafique's legal counsel contended that a recount request is valid if the victory margin is less than five per cent.

However, the apex court suspended LHC's ruling for re-tabulation and accepted Imran's plea for hearing.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.