August 17, 2026 07:26 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe

Sri Lanka serial blasts: 87 bomb detonators found at bus station

| @indiablooms | Apr 22, 2019, at 05:44 pm

Colombo, Apr 22 (UNI) A total of 87 detonators were found at a private bus stand in Bastian Mawatha by the Pettah Police on Monday.

Initially, police had discovered 12 detonators at the bus stand at around 1 pm . However, upon clearing a garbage heap in the same location, police had discovered 75 more detonators, Police Media Spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekara said.

The detonators had been inspected by the Special Task Force (STF) and were handed over to the Scene Of Crime Officers (SOCO) for further investigations, Times online reported.

No suspect has been arrested so far, police said adding that Pettah police are conducting further investigations in this regard.

The death toll in Sunday's explosions has risen to 290 while the number of injured persons stands at over 500, police said on Monday.

Five Indians are among the 290 killed in the terror attack which ripped through through Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday.

Police spokesperson SP Ruwan Gunasekara has confirmed that 24 suspects have been so far arrested and investigations were ongoing to nab more suspects. Two of the suspects have been nabbed from Dambulla in the Central Province on Monday morning, the spokesperson said.

The attacks started Sunday morning as explosions were reported from the St. Anthony's Church in Kochchikade in capital Colombo and another from the St. Sebastians Church in Negombo, in the outskirts of the capital. A third explosion was reported from the Zion Church in Batticaloa, in the east.

Sir Lanka’s bloody 26-year civil war waged between Government forces and Tamil separatists in the north, ended in 2009 with the defeat of the rebels, and in the years since, there has been sporadic violence, some targeting religious minorities.  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.