August 17, 2026 06:40 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Afghanistan
WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

US extends pause on flights with Afghan refugees after 5 measles cases, says Pentagon

| @indiablooms | Sep 14, 2021, at 03:57 pm

Washington/UNI/Sputnik: The United States has extended pause on the flights carrying Afghan refugees to the country for an additional week after at least five evacuees were diagnosed with measles, Pentagon press secretary John Kirby said on Monday.

“Operation Allies Welcome flights into the United States remain paused at the request of the CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] for at least seven additional days from today because of recent diagnosed cases of measles among Afghans who recently arrived in the United States,” Kirby said at a press briefing. “There have been five diagnosed cases of measles among new arrivals so far.”

One case of measles was confirmed last week at Fort McCoy, three cases were confirmed on Thursday night among new arrivals who flew into Dulles airport in the District of Columbia area and one has been diagnosed at Fort Pickett, Kirby said.

Those Afghans who were tested positive for measles have been housed separately and are receiving medical care, Kirby added.

Last week, the US halted all flights with Afghan evacuees en route to the US due to four cases of measles.

Earlier in September, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said the United States has so far admitted more than 40,000 Afghan evacuees. The Afghans are being temporarily housed at eight military facilities across the United States.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.