August 17, 2026 06:47 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Xinjiang
Image: Pixabay

US rights group asks Hilton hotels to drop Xinjiang project

| @indiablooms | Jun 17, 2021, at 05:12 am

Washington: The US-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, has called on Virginia-based Hilton Worldwide Holdings to drop plans to build a Hilton Hotel in China’s Xinjiang region on the site of a bulldozed and desecrated mosque. 

"This weekend, The Telegraph reported that China is building a new commercial center—including a luxury Hilton Hotel— on a plot of land where a mosque was initially bulldozed and desecrated," CAIR said in a statement.   

In a statement, CAIR National Deputy Director Edward Ahmed Mitchell said: “Hilton has a unique opportunity to take a clear stance against China’s ongoing genocide of Uyghur Muslims and set an example for other prominent corporations."

"Hilton must stand on the right side of history by announcing it will cancel this project and cease any operations in the Uyghur region of China until its government ends its persecution of millions of innocent people," he said.

Earlier this month, CAIR called for immediate international action” following the release of the Amnesty International report describing China’s abuse of its Uyghur Muslim minority as a “dystopian hellscape.”   

CAIR also welcomed the Biden administration’s formal United States’ recognition that the government of China is committing “genocide and crimes against humanity” against Uyghur Muslim and other Turkic minorities in the Xinjiang region.

In March of this year, CAIR and Free Uyghur Now hosted the “Call It Genocide” Uyghur Muslim rights rally in front of the Chinese Embassy in Washington, D.C., urging the U.S. government to formally recognize China’s genocide of Uyghur Muslims and other Turkic minorities.  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.