August 17, 2026 06:11 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
After SC rebuke, BCI chief apologises to NALSAR students over enrolment freeze row | Independence Day: PM Modi’s big youth pitch— AI training, free coaching amid exam row and job concerns | ‘Shakti Ki Saptadhara’: Modi reveals 7 pillars to power India’s next leap in his I-Day speech from Red Fort | West Bengal STF arrests 3 more suspected Pakistani spies in Cooch Behar | Bengal man arrested in Bengaluru over terror links, Afghanistan travel plan | Ajit Doval breaks silence on Operation Sindoor in Discovery’s explosive new docuseries | Rahul Gandhi's 'mock hug' taunt sparks row; Centre stresses 'mutual respect' with Italy | Delhi on high alert: Bomb threat to High Court, airport and multiple locations ahead of I-Day | ‘Who are they to interfere?’: CJI Surya Kant slams Bar Council of India over NALSAR students’ enrolment row | 'Shows how low Congress has sunk': BJP slams Rahul Gandhi over Modi foreign policy jibe
Antony Blinken
File image from Twitter/Antony Blinken

US will continue to speak out and promote accountability for Chinese atrocities and human rights abuses: Blinken

| @indiablooms | Jun 07, 2022, at 12:24 am

Washington: US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has said the US will continue to speak out and promote accountability for Chinese atrocities and human rights abuses, including those in Hong Kong, Xinjiang, and Tibet.

"To the people of China and to those who continue to stand against injustice and seek freedom, we will not forget June 4," Blinken said in a statement on the 33rd anniversary of Tiananmen Square massacre.

" Today, the struggle for democracy and freedom continues to echo in Hong Kong, where the annual vigil to commemorate the massacre in Tiananmen Square was banned by the PRC and Hong Kong authorities in an attempt to suppress the memories of that day," he said.

At least six people were arrested in Hong Kong as the authorities attempt to restrict public commemoration of the Tiananmen Square massacre.

The Hong Kong citizens held a candlelight vigil to mark the 33rd anniversary of the 1989 crackdown in Beijing.

In 2020, China had banned the city's annual public vigil.

BBC quoted the Hong Kong Police as saying that five men and one woman had been arrested on Saturday in the vicinity of Victoria Park, where a candlelight vigil marking the 1989 crackdown in Beijing would have been held.

Several images also became viral on social media showing people being detained.

However, the heavy police presence had failed to deter some Hongkongers from approaching the park and conducting their own acts of commemoration in defiance -- by holding up electronic candles and phone flashlights or quietly singing songs of remembrance, CNN reported.

One of the attendees of the vigil who is also a volunteer for the Tiananmen Mothers Campaign said, "It's heartbreaking to see (Victoria Park) like this. Hong Kong has sunk far and fast into a police state."

On Friday, the authorities said, "Police noticed that some people have been spreading messages on the Internet to incite others to take part in unauthorised assemblies at Victoria Park and in Causeway Bay on June 4.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.