August 19, 2026 11:05 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
China COVID19
Image: Unsplash

Washington expresses concern over Beijing's interference in WHO's probe on COVID-19 origin

| @indiablooms | Feb 16, 2021, at 01:32 am

Washington: Targeting China, the US has expressed deep concerns about the way in which the early findings of the COVID-19 investigation were communicated and questions about the process used to reach them.

"It is imperative that this report be independent, with expert findings free from intervention or alteration by the Chinese government," said Jake Sullivan, US National Security Adviser, in a statement.

"To better understand this pandemic and prepare for the next one, China must make available its data from the earliest days of the outbreak," he said.

"Going forward, all countries, including China, should participate in a transparent and robust process for preventing and responding to health emergencies — so that the world learns as much as possible as soon as possible," he said.

Investigators from the World Health Organization (WHO), who are trying to find the possible origin of the COVID-19 virus outbreak in China, have discovered signs the outbreak was much wider in Wuhan in December 2019 than previously thought, reports CNN.

The investigators are now trying to seek access to hundreds of thousands of blood samples from the city that China has not so far let them examine.

The lead investigator for the WHO mission, Peter Ben Embarek, told CNN in a wide-ranging interview that the mission had found several signs of the more wide-ranging 2019 spread, including establishing for the first time there were over a dozen strains of the virus in Wuhan already in December.

Ben Embarek, who has just returned to Switzerland from Wuhan, told CNN: "The virus was circulating widely in Wuhan in December, which is a new finding."

The total number of global Novel Coronavirus cases has topped 108.7 million, while the deaths have surged to more than 2.39 million on Monday, the Johns Hopkins University said.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.