August 19, 2026 11:51 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Money Laundering

Rs. 18000 crores returned to banks from Vijay Mallya, others: Centre to Supreme Court

| @indiablooms | Feb 24, 2022, at 03:40 am

New Delhi/IBNS: An amount of Rs. 18000 crore has been returned to banks from fugitive tycoons Vijay Mallya, Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi, the government told the Supreme Court on Wednesday.

This comes as the apex court is hearing a number of petitions challenging the wide scope of powers given to the Enforcement Directorate in connection to money laundering cases.

In India, 4,700 Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) cases are being investigated by the Enforcement Directorate.

Appearing for the Centre, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta cited the figures to reflect how a large sum of money is still stuck.

"Some of the people who have left the country duping thousands of crores are getting the protection from the courts. So far, a tune of ₹ 67000 crores is held up by the Courts by granting non-coercive actions," he said.

Over the last weeks, several senior advocates, including Kapil Sibal, Abhishek Manu Singhvi and Mukul Rohatgi have made submissions in the Supreme Court, noting the potential misuse of the recent amendments to the PMLA.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.