August 19, 2026 11:55 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
Uphaar Cinema
Image: UNI

Uphaar cinema case:Delhi High Court rejects Ansal brothers’ plea

| @indiablooms | Feb 16, 2022, at 10:31 pm

New Delhi/UNI: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday in its judgement dismissed the applications filed by convicts and real estate tycoons -- Sushil Ansal and Gopal Ansal -- in connection with 1997 Uphaar evidence tampering case.

The Delhi High Court of Justice Subramonium Prasad in his judgement today dismissed the petition of Ansal brothers.

"This court dismisses the petition filed by the Anasal brothers in the case," Justice Prasad of the Delhi High Court, today, in his judgement said. Ansal brothers and another convicted person Anoop Singh Karayat, had moved the Delhi High Court and pleaded it for suspension of the seven-year sentence, after a Sessions Court in the city dismissed their plea for suspension of sentence.

The plea of Anasal brothers was opposed by the Delhi Police and Association of the Victims of Uphaar Tragedy (AVUT).

Sushil and Gopal Anasal, the owners of Uphaar Cinema had moved the Delhi High Court against the sessions court order of not suspending their sentence in the 1997 Uphaar cinema hall evidence tampering case.

"As far as Ansal brothers are concerned, I am rejecting their application,” said Justice Prasad, in his verdict.

Last year, Ansals and former court staff Dinesh Chand Sharma and two others- PP Batra and Anoop Singh Karayat- were awarded seven-year jail term by a trial court and the sessions court had refused to suspend the sentence.

The tampering was detected for the first time on July 20, 2002, and when it was unearthed, a departmental enquiry was initiated against Sharma and he was suspended. Later an inquiry was conducted and he was terminated from services on June 25, 2004.

The Uphaar Cinema fire tragedy was one of the worst fire tragedies in India. The fire started on Friday, 13 June 1997, at Uphaar Cinema in Green Park, in South Delhi during the three o'clock (Matinee show) screening of the Hindi blockbuster movie, Border. Fifty-nine people were trapped inside and died of asphyxiation, while 103 were seriously injured in the resulting stampede.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.